Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Where is The David Walsh?

Where is
The David Walsh?




Google has this great feature called Latitude.  It is a real time location based service that you can use to track yourself and your friends.  However, it is not widely publicized so it has become very under utilized.  While other LBS (Location Based Services) require you to "Check In" to alert friends to where you are, Latitude doesn't do the "Check In" but instead is more akin to ongoing GPS tracking. Only, you get to decide the level of accuracy.  You can set to street, city, or blocked level access.  The feature, when enabled on mobile devices, can alert you to when your friends (who you have to accept to see) are nearby but has the ability to "learn" when those friends are only near you at uncommon times.  This means, coworkers or friends won't set off alerts if your visiting them at home or running into them at the office.

Google has made a "Badge" that you can post to websites and blogs but since a lot of social sites lack this integration - it is under looked.  This included the popular FaceBook to the up and coming Google+ social sites.  In an effort to "play" with the feature I have opened this Blogger blog to post the tracking the Badge for any and all friends (and new friends) to follow me if they do not have Android phones or don't want to activate the service on  their own.

I do advise that this is for fun so it can be stopped at any time.  I don't have a timeline on how long I'll keep this Badge active or to what level of accuracy.  However, in the meantime, enjoy following me.  *I apologize in advance if I don't run around as much as I used to.*

** Update: January 28, 2013: I have deactivated this feature for some time now but thought best to state so anyways.  I have no issues with it, but really felt the need at the time was for the blog and not so much so anyone could just track my basic to and from work.  Anyways, hope you all enjoyed it while it was active.

No comments:

Post a Comment